It's fair to say that I'd been bricking myself before, convinced I would lose time hand over fist.
The weather was pretty dreich, which spoiled what ought to have been some cracking views from the top, but there was not much that could be done to tip the balance either way as regards the pretty hateful nature of the slog up the hill.
Although the organisers and supporters did their utmost to create a festival atmosphere at the finish, with all manner of cowbells, whistles, pots, pans, and other assorted ironmongery complimenting the usual cheers and applause. And very much appreciated it was too.
|We had a warm up to the summit|
As you'll be able to tell from the sequence of photos below (taken by young Ethan Lee), I was blowing myself inside out and utterly ruined by the time I got to the finish.
But I'm pleased to report that I did indeed manage to channel the spirit of Jens Voight, told my legs to "shut up!", and recorded a third consecutive 6th place finish (ooh er, should I be worried about such a satanic series of results when this stage is called "Uphell"?!).
Michael, Peter and Willie all also had good runs. Peter extended his lead in the V50 category to 1:43, while Willie's lead in the V55 category is up to 3:41. My own lead in the V40 category is now 2:54.
And on that note, I really must head off to bed, as tomorrow's race starts at 2pm - a bit like going from a back shift to an early...
Stage 3 Results:
1. Derek Rae (Anster Haddies RC): 10:13
2. Alastair Brockie (Corstorphine AAC): +0:02
3. Scott Cassidy (Fife AC): +0:.24
4. Tom Brian (Metro Aberdeen RC): +0:29
5. Ewan Gault (Unattached): +0:39
6: Nick Williamson (Dunbar RC): +1:03
7. Sam Fernando (Fife AC): +1.11
8. Michael Geoghegan (Portobello RC): +1:21
9. Akira O'Connor (Leven Las Vegas RC) +1:36
10. Ian McNulty (Dundee Hawkhill Harriers): +1:46
13. Peter Buchanan (Portobello RC): +1:51
16. Willie Jarvie (Portobello RC): +2:02
Yellow Jersey (Overall Classification) - after Stage 3:
1. Derek Rae (Anster Haddies RC): 51:16
2. Scott Cassidy (Fife AC): +0:23
3. Alastair Brockie (Corstorphine AAC): +0:39
4. Ewan Gault (Unattached): +1:37
5. Tom Brian (Metro Aberdeen RC): +2:02
6: Nick Williamson (Dunbar RC): +4:26
7. Michael Geoghegan (Portobello RC): +5:16
8. Keith Taylor (Fife AC): +5:44
9. Sam Fernando (Fife AC): +5:47
10. Peter Buchanan (Portobello RC): +5:57
21. Willie Jarvie (Portobello RC): +8:44
White Jersey (Best Old (V40) Rider Classification) - after Stage 3:
1. Nick Williamson (Dunbar RC): 55:42
2. Steven King (Carnegie Harriers): +2:54
3. Scott Strachan (Kinross Road Runners): +6:04
4. Colin Thomson (Unattached): +8:07
5. Craig Love (Dundee Hawkhill Harriers): +9:14