Sunday 26 July 2015

The Roaring Forties

A couple of short races this week, both approached with the same tactic of going out hard and trying to hang on.

First up was the East Lothian Summer Series on Thursday night, and the inaugural Porty leg masterminded by Mark Fry.  And as has been the case for the majority of the races over the past couple of years, the sun was out and things were pleasant.  There was a slightly stiff breeze coming from Seafield, but nothing to get too concerned about, and it would be helping to push us home. 

We got under way with Peter B leading us out on his bike, turning round to take pictures as he went.  Have a look here for his account and photos, as well as a lovely bit of video footage from the end.  The few shots below were taken by Syd Woods.


 
The course started and finished at the Dalriada Bar at the Joppa end of the Prom, and took us straight along to the Cat & Dog Home, before coming back along Seafield Road (past the car dealerships), and then down Kings Road, on to the Prom and eastwards for a final blast to the line.  A little short of 3.5 miles in total.

Youngster Ali Wilson, our winner at Haddington, immediately took the lead, with me initially in second.  Porty's David L was absent, and Andy S was nursing a sore calf after Kelso (and ahead of a Half Iron Man in a couple of weeks).  I knew that I was being hotly pursued though, but couldn't tell by whom until David came past around Tumbles.  Positive as ever, he said, referring to Ali, "if we keep our pace up, we'll reel him in."  Trying to match his optimism, I responded, "nah, no chance".

The pair of them stretched away from me on the rest of the way out, and at the turn I could see that Stuart was closing in fast, with Mike J of Musselburgh only a wee bit further adrift.

Stuart drew alongside at the first (Vauxhall?) garage, and I gave my self a stern talking to, and vowed to try to stick with him.  After a further few hundred yards we came to a woman walking bang in the middle of the pavement, who clearly hadn't heard us coming.  There wasn't much room either side, so we passed closer than we might have liked which unfortunately seemed to give her a fright.  I swear I think she spat at us though, which was unexpected to say the least!

Stuart and I ran side by side down Kings Road, the slope being very welcome by this point.  As we got to Towerbank I started to ease away from him and managed to secure 3rd behind Ali and David.
 

 
 
An enjoyable evening, with the Prom being just the right level of busy - no problems getting through, no dogs getting in the way, and good vocal support from the random strangers who were out and about.  Mark and his team had also laid on food afterwards which was much appreciated and tided me over nicely until I got home.  The course was, for someone who was brought up in Porty, a nostalgic nod back to the old summer race that I first did when I was about 11 or 12.


--------------------------------------------------

The second event was the Oxton Border Games Hill Race on Saturday.  Which coincided with my 40th birthday.  Jo had asked me what I fancied doing for my birthday, and just shook her head when I told her I wanted to race for the first time as a V40.  I'd had a similar bemused reaction from work colleagues who'd asked if I had anything nice planned.

But I reckon that if more folk took part in competitive sport, far fewer people would look on milestone birthdays with a sense of doom - what's not to like about going up an age category?

Anyway, I'd done this one last year (looking back at my records, I see that I did it after the ParkRun at which I got my PB), when there had been only 8 entrants.  I had received a prize for 3rd, ahead of the first Vet and the first lady, who both also took something home for their troubles.  5 prizes for 8 runners represents very good odds in my book, and I harboured hopes that this might see my V40 career off in style.

The first piece of bad news came when I returned from my warm up to see Brian Marshall of Haddington leaving the registration gazebo.  Nothing personal you understand, but Stuart had introduced me to him at the Berwick Law Race last year, before explaining that he was a multiple National Hill Running champion.  And a V50.

The second piece of bad news was delivered by the organiser, who said that they'd had to scale back on the prizes, with only 1st overall, 1st Vet, and 1st lady up for grabs.  Hmm, maybe 1st Vet would be possible if Brian took the outright win and wasn't allowed both.

A bit of discussion about the course followed (a little like the Traprain Law Race's wee brother - fast and flat alongside a burn on the way out, before a short sharp hill, a descent and then back along the burn to the finish - half the distance at just shy of 3 miles).  In a spot of blatant ageism, one of the other entrants suggested that he hoped I knew where I was going, and then he would just follow me.  I said that I'd likely be behind Brian, who himself referred to another lean-looking chap with silver hair, and said, "Colin's fast".  Oh dear, he did have the typical fast and lithe hill runner build.  The third bit of bad news.

And then the 6 (six!) runners were called to the start line in front of the crowds gathered for the main draw of the handicapped track events, with the "benefit" of an introduction from the announcer over the PA.  Nowhere to hide in such a select grouping!

I made up my mind that my only chance was to hare off like a maddie, try to hold it to the foot of the hill, before marching up as fast as I could and pray that it was steep enough to prevent Brian and Colin from actually running up.  So hare off like a maddie I did.  Which led the announcer to provide the following audible commentary as we did a half circuit of the track: "our early leader is Nick Williamson.  Nick has run the race before, but I'm not sure if he has won it".  Oh dear, further scope for humiliation.

The first field was pretty rough with long grass and no obvious line through it.  We then went along a rough track before a couple of burn crossings, crashing straight through a load of thistles, before a disused railway embankment took us to the hill.  I was giving everything here to eke out a lead, so was shocked when Colin suddenly burned by.  He absolutely flew past, and that despite the fact that I was on sub-6 pace.

Brian followed at around the mile mark, and I could only watch as the pair scampered up the hill.  Getting to the top myself, I looked back to see that I had at least opened a decent gap to 4th and 5th.  And then settled into a pretty lonely return leg.  Which involved some trail, a bit of tarmac road, another bit of railway embankment, another stream crossing, before the field again and up the sprint track to the finish.

I finished around 30 seconds faster than last year, but well behind Colin in first, and Brian in second.  So an inauspicious start to my V40 racing career then.  But a good wee race, with a friendly vibe and low entry cost (free with your entrance to the Games).  It would be nice if they could get a bit more support next year as it would be a shame if it died.

A look at Scottish Hill Racing when I got home revealed that Colin Donnelly is a two-time winner of the Two Breweries (as well as a number of other races).  I guess that is the problem with small fields - small doesn't mean a lack of quality!

Next up is my first crack at the Tour of Fife from Wednesday onwards.



No comments:

Post a Comment