Tuesday 1 September 2015

PR NB TB PB

For the second Saturday in a row I made my way down to Cramond for ParkRun.  The weather forecast was less good this week, in that there was meant to be a South-Westerly wind, rather than the perfect calm that graced us last.  But Jack and Jamie both had hockey at 9am, only a mile or two away, so there was no good reason not to run.


Strangely I managed to complete it in exactly the same time as last week (17:50), despite the stiff breeze into my face on the homeward half.  My first mile this week (with the wind) was actually slower than last, and I felt more comfortable at the finish, which probably demonstrates something about the benefits of adopting a proper approach to pacing.  So the same time, but arguably a better run.






Andrew producing another trademark strong finish

I got home to find a very welcome message on Facebook – Peter asking if anyone was coming out to play on Sunday.  Ya beauty!  With Stuart (and Anne) still on holiday in Italy, I had resigned myself to another lonely/boring long marathon training run.  The thought of company, and a chance to learn some of Peter’s routes (particularly around Binning Wood and Seacliffe), cheered me up no end.


Because I had a need to be at my Mum and Dad’s in town for tea at 6pm, and because Peter couldn't get a train out to NB until 11.06, I elected to dump the car near “Tam Bides Here” and run what ought to have been the last 4 or so miles first.  With plenty of leeway until PB was due to arrive, I took my time, meandered around a bit (e.g. going down to the beach at NB for no particular reason other than that I could), and frequently slowed right down to have a bloody good nose at some interesting cottages and houses with nice gardens.




Our first destination was the top of the Law.  The visibility was excellent, although unfortunately you might not be able to tell from the photos I was able to take with Jamie’s camera – it is fine for close stuff, but its zoom isn't up to much.  You’d be better checking out the pictures on Peter’s blog.  If you do, it is worth considering that he has a hair trapped in the mechanism that leaves a squiggle in the top right corner of every single picture.  Which he has to painstakingly photoshop out.  Given how many pictures he takes, that is a lot of photoshopping.  Anyway, I didn't take as many pictures as Peter did.



Not long for this world :-(


Coming off the Law, and heading down the John Muir Way towards East Linton, we crossed paths with Dot, Billy and Gemma.  I love when that happens.  Although running can be quite a solitary pursuit (and I do enjoy time on my own with my own thoughts), I really appreciate the sense of community that exists and the friends that I have made over the past few years since joining Dunbar.  I guess seeing other faces I know makes me feel like an insider, one of the gang, “a runner”!

The next stop of note was the curling pond at the Balgone Estate.  I had seen Peter blog about it before, but in my head had thought it was nearer to Newbyth/Binning Wood.  Indeed, I hadn’t realised that I had been so close to it – simply a question of a 90 degree turn, and a few hundred yards off of the JMW - but obscured by trees, it was totally invisible to me.  We had a bit of a chat about how often it could have been used for curling, and I recalled hearing that the Thames used to freeze much more frequently 100 or so years ago.  A bit of googling reveals that it was slightly longer ago than 100 years – more like 300!

“Even at its peak, in the mid-17th century, the Thames freezing at London was less frequent than modern legend sometimes suggests, never exceeding about one year in ten except for four winters between 1649 and 1666. From 1400 to the removal of the now-replaced medieval London Bridge in 1835, there were 24 winters in which the Thames was recorded to have frozen over at London”

But I guess a smaller body of water would freeze more easily, so it must still have been cold enough that it seemed like a good idea to create a pond specifically for curling.  Apparently there used to be one at the foot of the Law as well.  The bottom line though is that it is very picturesque (no photo found!) and the little cabin there must be a great spot to while away a warm summer’s evening.

After rejoining the JMW, Peter pointed out a very narrow landing strip cut into a grass field.  If he hadn’t told me what it was I’d never have recognised it for what it was - it looked pretty precarious.






We carried on past “Stink Farm”, up the hill and over into East Linton.  After I worked out that we were into a new month for Tynecastle Bronze purposes, we made sure to find a war memorial, and then headed out along the Tyne towards first Hailes Castle where we had a snack, and then on to Traprain Law.  The ponies were out in force and happy enough to pose for the camera.






The perspective in this one is fun - if only I'd managed to get Peter "standing" on my shoulder...

Reaching the Co-op at East Linton for the second time, we stocked up on provisions, which in my case were mainly liquid – I’d brimmed my hydration reservoir with 2 litres before the off, but had used it all already.  We were making very good time though, despite very much sparing the horses – Peter suggesting that I was keeping him honest; dissuading him from chasing off into fields for 10 minutes at a time in search of butterflies.  I was amused by his line that he could easily spend an hour “taking pictures of the sole of his own shoe”.

After a brief road stretch we made our way into Binning Wood.  The chat was at such a high intensity at this point however that, despite having a general sense of it being really lovely, I can’t for the life of me remember the route that we took through it.  Ah well, I guess that is part of the fun of woods – there is no one “right route” anyway.


We then crossed the A198 and went down Limetree Walk to the beach near St Baldred’s Cradle.  The tide was right in, so we had to climb up and round the back of the first rocky outcrop. The path was a little overgrown, so I managed to clatter into a woody shrub with my knee.  On first inspection it didn't look like it had done any damage, but after trying to run on a few yards, something “didn't feel right”.  I looked again and saw that there was a puncture wound in the centre of the skin over my knee cap.  Feeling around it revealed that I had a splinter of something (which turned out to be a thick woody thorn) roughly matchstick-sized under the skin.  Although not terribly sore, it was a little off-putting having to work at it from the other end, trying to push it back out far enough that I could get purchase on it to pull.  No real harm done though – lucky that it went in where it did and not, for example, into the meat of my quad.


Lego en route from Denmark




We ran along the shore until we reached the Peffer Burn, and then turned inland to make our way to Seacliffe.  Seacliffe is not a beach/estate that I visit very often – partly because it is a little far to run to from Dunbar, and partly because I am a bit tight and grudge paying £3 to park there.  So I enjoyed having another good nosy at the quaint little groupings of cottages, often with gardens and outbuildings filled with wonders!









Getting back to the car, I needed to do a little extra loop to bring me over 30 miles for the day, before thanking Peter for a terrific day out.  A tremendous way to bring my mileage for the week up to a record 72.  Which leaves me pretty happy with the marathon training that I've done.  One more long run this Sunday, and I should be able to start the taper without too much fretting that I've not done enough. 


Ha, yeah right!

No comments:

Post a Comment