Saturday 2 May 2015

Edinburgh to North Berwick (or further?)

Thankfully not the finish
I have a soft spot for the E2NB.  Which is more than a lot of people have for it.  It was my first run of over half marathon distance - way back in that magical summer of '13.  So I wanted to keep my, extremely short by Sandy Wallace's standards, streak going.  I got an early entry because it was pretty cheap, putting it in the "a DNS is no disaster" bracket.  I told folk that I'd see how I felt after the Fling (sorry to bring that up again - what do you mean my hoodie has been surgically attached to me and is beginning to stink?!).  But if I'm honest, it would have taken a leg amputation or my hooves being worn down to bloody stumps to stop me.

 

(photo: Sandy Wallace)
I was however pretty realistic about my expectations.  Last year I'd treated it with the respect it deserves and had actually tapered for it, having built up the right amount of training before hand.  This year I was much more apologetic for having neglected it so.  Under 2:20 (level 7 m/m) would be a comparatively good result, and avoiding a personal worst (2:32) was one of those topical "red lines".

But the wild card in the deck was the fact that there was a nasty head wind, and it was forecast to get stronger as the day went on.  Perhaps going off hard and hanging on was the strategy du jour?! Going along Porty Prom I found myself in a mini group with Ian R and 3 others.  But Ian has been in great form and started to make a move quite early for the larger group of Stuart, David, Peter and others slightly ahead.  Despite the pace being already below my 7m/m target, I stuck with Ian's injection of pace to bridge to the bigger group in front.  I was hoping that, by the time I got there, I'd get to slow down again, and the relative shelter would feel less hard work than being on my own behind them.

As good as it got - just about to fall off the back of the fastest group I got to (less than 2 miles in!)
(photo: David Woods' Dad)
It didn't, and I didn't last that long.  I was back to a mini group of 3 by the time we got to the Electric Bridge and all on my lonesome by the time I saw David's Dad going along by the racecourse. 
(photo: David Woods' Dad)
My left hip had started to hurt by the time I got to Sandy at Prestonpans, but it was a real fillip to keep seeing people I know and like.  As well as Sandy and David's Dad, I saw Steve Crane at Porty Baths, and Mr Marshall my geography teacher/XC coach was following the course in his car and was a source of regular smiles and cheers.

And to be fair my initial pace wasn't bad (if unsustainable) - I got to 5 miles faster than last year, and to 10 still below 6:30 pace.  Which was probably just as well, as again I had cash at bank.

(photo: Sandy Wallace)
There's not a huge amount to say about the rest of the race, other than that my pace dropped as the wind got stronger (and there were some pretty exposed sections when it felt like I was bearing the full brunt of it) and my legs came more and more to resemble posts of cast iron.  Passing water stations I wondered, but didn't ask, if they had ibuprofen.  At times my IT band was acting as if someone was pouring ice cold water down my leg.

Guys started coming past me not long after 9 miles despite my best efforts, and I was beyond any kind of response other than "well done, you're looking strong" - adopted ultra weirdo that I seem to be becoming, road runners don't say stuff like that!

I was saddened to see Ian R walking just outside Gullane as it looked, and proved to be, terminal - "calf gone" the verdict.  He had looked very strong as well.

The calculating and bargaining had started after around 13/14 miles, but really came to a head at the 15 mile checkpoint.  Better than 7:30 pace for the remaining miles to secure a sub 2:20. So again I found myself ticking off the ones that were better than that.

The 19th mile seemed particularly hard with a stiff wind at a tough time, which had me worried that I'd blow it late on, but it was nice to hit North Berwick and reach the finish.

(photo: David Woods' Dad)
 
(photo: .... Bob Marshall of course!)
 
(photo: Steve Crane)
I'm not sure why I looked down in the picture above, because I am pretty pleased with how it went.  Head, lungs, and heart all performed well.  And the legs were as might have been predicted.

Dunbar RC had a good day with V50 wins for both Stuart and Rhona.  And Anne had a richly deserved PB.  See you next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment